Katapult is available for artistic residencies in contemporary performance art disciplines of all kinds. Our goal is to push the boundaries of any genre through interdisciplinary collaboration, so we highly encourage applicants to demonstrate how they work with others, be it performing artists, musicians, technicians, directors, outside eyes, or something else. Should you require it, we can also help you find such people.
Katapult is a fully independent organisation run by artists, for artists. All the project team give their time on a voluntary basis in order to keep costs as low as possible, but we still have rent and various administration costs to cover. As such, all residencies do come at some initial cost to the artists involved, which we aim to recover through the resulting performance.
A full week residency at Katapult starts Monday at 9am and ends Friday at 5pm. Residents are given 24 hour full access to the 150m² creation space, office co-working area and toilets. Soon also showers and a kitchen.
However, the hours between 6pm and 10pm in some months are booked for weekly classes – please check with the team if you would plan to work during these hours, so we can check the schedule and make sure there are no clashes. Otherwise, you have access to the space at all times.
600€ per week (Monday-Friday)
125€ per day (Saturday/Sunday)
There are several ways to reduce the costs:
Make a work in progress showing – you pay 300€ per week
- On the Saturday night of your residency week, we make a work in progress showing with a donation-based entry
- All income from the night goes towards Katapult costs, until all costs are covered
- All income above costs is split directly between the artists performing (40%), the staff working the night (30%), and Katapult rent (30%)
Share your residency with someone – you pay 300€ per week
- Use the space for half the day, pay half the price.
- It is the responsibility of the two artist groups to arrange sharing the space. We suggest working times of 9am to 3pm and 3pm until late – until 9 or possibly later if you wish.
Share a residency week, and make a showing – each artist group pays 150€, and the showing deal above applies.
Apply for BOP funding through us – you pay 300€ per week
- Berlin based artists only
- Berliner Senatsverwaltung für Kultur und Europa covers the rest of the Katapult costs
This option can also be shared with another Berlin based artist, in which case each artist group pays 150€ per week.
Give a workshop
- In some situations it is possible to combine a residency period with a workshop, but agreements are made separately, for clarity. Depending on schedule, this option may not be available to every artist group.